Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Finishing Up "Smoke on the Water"

Do you ever wonder what happens to all the minutes in your day? I spend lots of time on the phone, on the computer, at the post office, UPS, etc. -- in other words, running my business! And some days, I just never get to the sewing machine at all...

A couple of days ago, Alex called to tell me that she was sending me another quilt that needed to be done quickly for the magazine. My thought was that now that I finally decided how to finish up the quilt that I'm presently working on for her, I'd better get it out before the new one came in....


This was the design that I decided on to frame the picture created by the flames and water. It is a fairly simple braid design in a 4-1/4" width, #271 from JD Stencils. Stencils can be ordered online and often you will see Joe and Darlene in their booth at the larger quilt shows.

My only concern with this design is that it may not be enough quilting to balance what has already been quilted; I may have to add a bit more quilting to the braid to make it work.



Because I have such distinctly different backing fabrics, I am going to use two different bobbin threads but one top thread. I'll continue with the two bobbin threads I used for the rest of the quilting; the top thread is Sulky 40 wt. rayon, color #2206, a blend of turquoise and coral that I think will be perfect! I always try the threads out on a sample first to see if they are playing well together; if not, I can make some changes.

The doorbell just rang -- it's FedEx delivering that new quilt top from Alex! It's a hush hush, but I may give you an itty bitty sneak peak in the next day or so....

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...